Sunday, November 29, 2009

My conure is going though puberty and rubs on everything. He is also eating up his tail feathers wha

My 1 1/2 year old green cheek conure seems to be going though a puberty stage. He rubs his body on many things, even tries on my head. I try to redirect his interest in other things and of course take him off my head. I am concerned because he is also chewing up his tail feathers. He is not lost for attention and get lots of toys and treats. Any advice?



My conure is going though puberty and rubs on everything. He is also eating up his tail feathers what can I dointernet explorer



This is about the age for sexual behaviors to begin... there is not really too much more you can do. It sounds like you are doing the right things... by not reinforcing these behaviors, but they most likely will continue... some birds have stronger urges than others... I have a Quaker who is like this and even though she has many toys, etc... she didn't have "THE" toy... a surrogate toy. I found her a large bell that has now become her surrogate mate. She only rubs on the bell... nothing else. Perhaps if you introduce some new types of toys, one of these might become your birds surrogate. Some options could include "the little birdie man", a bell, one of those corner fuzzy blankets, or something you find yourself. I gave my amazon a bug toy from a McDonald's happy meal... she sits and stares at it and then pretend attacks it. Anything might work, just try some different options. Good luck! :)



My conure is going though puberty and rubs on everything. He is also eating up his tail feathers what can I domicrosoft office internet explorer



Try finding a vet. who knows birds.
get him a cuttle bone to chew on it will help the bitting and is good for calcium and other vitamins in the body
I don't think there is anyway to stop it, my sun conure does the same thing. I think because it is breeding season it's just worse now. There is a way to trick them by putting them to bed earlier and limiting the sunlight they get. You can go to a couple of websites and check that out. Good luck but I think all God's creatures want to mate sometimes :) Just try to discourage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++