Sunday, November 29, 2009

Question about telling your child "no"?

I have been using "no" to correct and redirect since my child was old enough to understand it. He's now two years old and as all two year olds do he has now started telling me "no"when I ask him to pick up his toys/bring me that pen/let's change your diaper, etc. I have used other words and phrases when he's going for something he shouldn't, for example: He's going for the fire place and I have said something like "Where's your car?" in order to distract him from going towards something he shouldn't, though at times "no" or "stop" is more effective. He does receive consequences for disobeying (time out and very very rarely a firm swat on the backside when time out isn't enough) and the consequences do work.



My question is what do you do when your young child says "no" when you ask or tell them to do/not do something? Some parents say to use redirection or tell your child "no" as the only means of correction, but what happens when that becomes something they use against you?



Question about telling your child "no"?windows themes



Now that he understands what "NO' means, start telling him YES, when he tells YOU no.



He will then learn what yes means.He will learn that when the PARENTS says NO they mean NO, when the parent says YES they mean YES.



When they begin to reinforce their "no", you spank their butt, and that teaches them they gave you the wrong answer.They will learn the right answer quickly.



They are children NOT adults, they will not reason like adults sometimes because they want what they want regardless.



This is why GOD gave them parents, so they could MAKE them do what is right until they are mature enough to understand WHY something is right or wrong.



Question about telling your child "no"?internet explorer 7 internet explorer



Welcome to the world of being the mother of a toddler. Most (if not all) kids will do this at that age. The key is to just be firm and when he tells you no, tell him that he is to do what you ask him and if he still refuses take him to his room.
I just ignore it. Even my daughter at 8 years old...she will say 'no' and than go and do what she was told to do. Kids want to be able to assert themselves. She knows that she has no choice but to do it. Kids think different than us... they say things like that because they can, because it brings them attention, because it throws the parent off -gaurd, lol... I always try to listen to the attitude or 'spirit' of what she is saying. When she says 'no' does she mean 'no' or is there another reason for saying it like I listed above. It is like giving your child a time out and that child saying 'I WON'T GO' just before they promptly sit down in the time out chair.



I would let it slid and not react. I remember at 2-4 my child would say 'no' alot. Especially 2. Do you want ice cream? NO Do you want to watch t.v? NO. lol... it is a powerful word and they like to use it. I would only worry if he actually does not do what he is told. Sometimes with kids.. words are just words. They don't realize that their words mean something or can hurt feelings, or can make a parent feel disrepected. So listen underneath the words. Is he saying 'no' to defy you or just to use this all new powerful word?
As a nanny and babysitter of several toddlers throughout the past few years, I've experienced the 'no' phenomenon quite a few times. The way that I deal with it is through talking the child through your thoughts. Ask them to use other words, especially if saying 'no' is actually a true reluctance to do something. If he has the vocabulary or understanding, explain that your saying 'no' is to keep him safe, it's a special word, and shouldn't be used to be disrespectful. If he's using 'no' because he KNOWS it's naughty and WANTS to be naughty, give him a two minute time out but make sure to explain why he is there, and have the reconciliation afterwards.



The way that I would deal with this depends on what the developmental level of your two year old is. He might simply be using it because he has a limited vocabulary, or he's mimicking your mannerisms (which is very common at that age).
"No" should mean"NO" when told by a *parent* to a child and a child should understand that in other matters too he should obey and not answer back.



Sounds harsh but we are talking about parents and children not some sort of "equality".



My boys had a smacked bottom if they answered back to me and they soon learnt not to - that was for the best as I had four of them to raise on my own and otherwise it would have been chaos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++