Sunday, November 29, 2009

Third person?

Why do people talk about them selves in third person, esspecially children and how would you redirect them from doing this? Example: A child who says Justin likes that when they like something, and Justin's hungry when want something to eat?



Third person?microsoft internet explorer



I don't know why an adult would do this but a young child would do it because they haven't learned good verbal skills yet and they don't know to refer to themself as I yet. Once they do then they will still make other mistakes such as "I hungry" rather than "I'm hungry"



One way to help this is when you refer to yourself use words like I and I am or I'm rather than saying "mommy is hungry" say "I'm hungry are you?" They eventually catch on.



EDIT: correcting him and saying to him "can you say I'm hungry" will only confuse him and hurt his self esteem. If you correct a child's mispronounciation you should do it descretely for example if a child says I want a "tuppie" and you know they want a cup then you would just say to them "oh, you want a cup, I'll get you a cup" and you stress the word cup as you say it.



Third person?microsoft downloads internet explorer



Young children say things like "Justin's hungry" because you refer to him as "Justin," not "I'm."
What age? And just working with the child gently correcting him. For example when justin says, "justin's hungry" ask him to repeat you and say it for him, "Can you say 'I'm hungry"? He will get the idea after a while. Be sure to praise him too. Each child is different so it's hard to say how long you will have to correct him. And just be patient.
Kids do it because they have not yet learned the importance of nouns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++